Friday 3 July 2009

Gold Sounds - The Lexington

Gold Sounds started off a little bluesy, a little americana. Ooh maybe I'm thinking of Kingmaker, he's wearing glasses and there are some neat hooks in the melody. I think I'll stick with them projecting Kingmaker thing. My attractive ladyfriend reckons shades of The Lemonheads, but with the caveat that she has a limited frame of reference. Or the Shins, she adds.

On stage the singer is hoping to invoke Springsteen, but with literary influences such as Marlow and Fields.

I like their use of keyboards, I'll stick with the Kingmaker thing though, maybe Neil Hannanish vocals.

Ooh, my ladyfriend is dancing, they must be doing something right.

Terris?
The La's?
Adam J Smith lyricism?
Madnessy harmonies ska?

Guitar straps set to four-fifths? Seems a bit dodgy to me, can't trust bands who can't decide between full length and three-quarter lengths. The beast must die.

The singing chap sure can holler. He looks like he's just come from the office, hasn't had time to change but has been looking forward to the show all day, the boss had been moaning at him to get the end of month stats done, but there was no way he was going to be working late tonight.

The clapping intro is a bit iffy. Yeah, everyone was going clappity-clap or clap-clap-clappity, with timing all over the shop, even on stage. Just when I thought shambles would be the word, it started to turn out okay.

It was just the last song with tonnes of reverb, had something of the epic about it, all sparkly and magical. More of that sort of thing, please.

No comments: