Wednesday 19 September 2007

Herman Dune, Tiny Dancers - University of London Union

Gah, students! Hundreds of them, and they all look odd, and wrong. Don't get me wrong, I'm no Paul Calf type, I love these mindless wannabe hipsters as much as the next battle hardened graduate. Its just that this is stundet-central and they're all so old-looking.

I didn't know how to get to the venue so I missed the first act, must see them some other time.

So, to the Indiana Jones theme, Tiny Dancers take to the stage. It reminds me of how I felt before Cast came on in '95.
IMG_2579
Hmm, when have I seen this cunz before? I could be getting them confused with The Edgar Winters Group, there's a similar vibe. American FM stuff, but with huge punchy bass drum and a singer in green jersey and red baseball cap.

Mic stands are adorned with white flowers, not as nicely done as Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring, and there appears to be a potted plant near the keyboard stand.

When they go a bit Razorlitey, I head to the bar. Something about how drinks used to be cheap at stundet unions. I didn't get close enough to be served before I lost interest, huge queues, crap service and punters dicking about with their drinks. The problem isn't that there's not enough barstaff, its just that sometimes people ought to accept they're not going to get ice with their drink, and that last minute order from a mate after the rest of the drinks have come should go to the wind.

Crikey, as the roadies set up, the anticipation in the room is palpable, is this the same Herman Dune wot played the Winchester Club in Glasgow the other year? This is a 800 punter venue and its buzzing before the band come on. I feel uncomfortable.

They still look like a bunch of hippies, with Orlando Bloom on bongos and Mick Fleetwood on guitar and vocals.

Some natty guitarwork on lead and solos from 'David' and the backing vocals are the magic which makes it all work.

I do like that “I Wish That I Could See You Soon” song, but well, at least 50% of their songs sound just like it. When they actually get round to playing it, it comes across a bit mangled, stripped of the tenderness of the original recorded version and well, spiced up. The drums make it heavy, the guitar stamp on it and the vocals seem a bit jarring.
IMG_2582
They play a couple of new songs, which seem a bit darker and could grow on me, but the evening seemed to drag on during the second half of the set.

No comments: